Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Is obesity the new norm?

Today, I feel as though I had revolutionary thought that may change the way I personally view the obesity epidemic.  After reading articles, research, and media reports on the contributing factors of weight gain and the new approaches to slow down the ever-growing American waistlines, I thought to myself:

"Well, we know what is causing obesity and people know that diet and exercise is the key to controlling it.  But, for some reason the epidemic continues to multiply... why?"

Any answers out there?

I think there are many answers.  The one that came to my mind today is the fact that obesity has become the new norm.  And when I say "norm," I don't necessarily mean the overweight character "Norm" from the TV show "Cheers." Or, maybe I do...

The majority of Americans are overweight or obese.  Movie theatre chairs are widening and so are elastic waistbands.  Previously, chairs and waistbands helped to indicate when we were getting a little pudgy-wudgy.  However, now that these things are expanding along with the muffin-top,  it leads to losing sight of what being at a healthy weight looks and feels like.  So, the visual norm for weight has shifted under the intense pressure of our own weight.

No comments:

Post a Comment